The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, on behalf of the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, the Honourable Steven Del Duca, Ontario Minister of Transportation and her Worship Linda Jeffrey, Mayor of Brampton, announced 6 newly approved projects that will benefit Brampton under the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund. The federal government is providing up to 50 per cent of funding for these projects—just over $32.4 million.
The List of Projects includes :
- Expansion the Sandalwood Transit Facility : $12.4 million
- Expansion the Zum Bovaird Transit Service along Airport Road : $9.5 million
- Acquisition of 20 replacement buses : 6.1 million
- Three new articulated buses : $2.1 million
- Automated Vehicle Monitoring System to Brampton’s Transit : $1.26 million
- Expansion and replacement of transit shelters : $1 million
This investment is part of an agreement between Canada and Ontario for the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund. This investment will improve transit in and around Brampton and will benefit the entire community.
- This funding is part of the first phase of Investing in Canada, the Government of Canada’s historic plan to support public infrastructure across the country.
- The Government of Canada will provide more than $180 billion in infrastructure funding over 12 years for public transit, green infrastructure, social infrastructure, transportation that supports trade, and Canada’s rural and northern communities.
- Since 2004, the Government of Ontario has committed more than $3.7 billion to municipalities across the province through the provincial gas tax program. This funding supports municipal transit systems.